News of the world

This blog is in the first case meant for myself so I don't forget interesting stuff. So you will find lots of useless topics, but there will certainly be also readings that might interest you. Lots of the items will go about my family, things we do or don't do but also about software, cars, gadgets, music, etc ... .

20 jan 2006

Playing DIVX movies on Daewoo DV-700S with no hastle

A couple of months ago I bought a Daewoo DV-700S DVD player, but today I rediscovered that it is able to play DIVX movies. So at first I was looking for the manual to find out how to burn the movie on the CD/DVD but I could not find it anywhere. I just copied the movie together with the subviewer file for subtitles into the root of the disc, I was pretty convinced that it wouldn't work but I tried anyway.

I've loaded the disc into the player and saw a menu appearing containing the movie, which had a Microsoft logo, and the srt file which had a question mark as a logo. So I just selected the movie file and selected play, saw "creating index..." appearing on the screen and after a few seconds the movie started with no subtitles of course. Just pressed the subtitle button on the remote and voila I could read the subtitles.

Actually I was already pretty impressed because it's a very good machine for it's price (less than 100 euros). But now I had this experience with it I am very happy I bought it. Now I can watch my collection of DIVX movies with subtitles without the hastle of hooking up my PC to my TV.

5 Comments:

At 6:34 p.m., Anonymous Anoniem said...

hello Jan!
Today I bought the Daewoo personal dvd player 7600 that it can also read divx.
I was wondering if it's possible to view the subtitles the same way you did with yours.

Thank you and merry xmas
Juan Pablo (from Argentina)

 
At 6:37 p.m., Anonymous Anoniem said...

my email is c-juan.carro@verizonbusiness.com
Thank you!

 
At 8:06 a.m., Blogger Jan said...

You want to know what I did to play my DIVX movies with subtitles?

Well it is fairly easy to do. I just copied the movie file together with the .srt-file (subtitles) in the root (no subfolders) of the CD. When you insert the CD, the DVD player will start up a menu from which you pick the movie file to play and when the movie is playing press the subtitle button on your remote control. Then you should see your subtitles over your movie.

Hope this helps.

 
At 6:51 p.m., Anonymous Anoniem said...

I also have a DV-700S. Have you succeeded in playing a movie and its subtitles if there are several movie files, each with a .srt in the root of a DVDR?

Regards,

Art.

 
At 8:25 p.m., Blogger Jan said...

You just have to put the .avi and .srt files that belong together into the same sub-directory. So if you have multiple movies, you have to create a sub-directory for each one.

 

Een reactie posten

<< Home