News of the world

This blog is in the first case meant for myself so I don't forget interesting stuff. So you will find lots of useless topics, but there will certainly be also readings that might interest you. Lots of the items will go about my family, things we do or don't do but also about software, cars, gadgets, music, etc ... .

28 aug 2005

Network blues part II

I am convinced that computers have a mind of their own... or is it just bad engineering that we put into these machines? Today I am again struggling with my network, the wireless part now. I have a wireless router at home which just works fine with my personal laptop, desktop PC and my Palm Zire. But when I want to hook up my laptop from work onto it, the connection works for about 2 minutes and then it breaks down. Windows XP tells me that it has found some wireless networks and asks me if I want to connect to one. Again I pick my wireless router, and everything works just fine for... again 2 minutes and the whole scenario start all over again.

I am at the point of ripping the damn wireless out of the laptop, but then my boss certainly will look mad at me. So I plugged in a 3Com PCM-CIA wireless card into the laptop and now everythings works just fine. So is this just bad communication between the built-in wireless or does it prevent me to do some work when at home? Think I'll write that report tomorrow morning when I am at the office.