News of the world

This blog is in the first case meant for myself so I don't forget interesting stuff. So you will find lots of useless topics, but there will certainly be also readings that might interest you. Lots of the items will go about my family, things we do or don't do but also about software, cars, gadgets, music, etc ... .

2 sep 2005

Tijgerspin (Argiope bruennichi)

Yesterday evening my father called me because he had found a spider he had never seen before. I went outside and saw this beautiful spider sitting on my daughter's toy. I quickly went back inside to grab my camera and took the following picture of it.



Today I found out that this spider is called "tijgerspin", where tijger is Dutch for tiger and spin for spider (they also call them wasp spiders). Well about a week ago I found this 2 centimeters big ball hanging in a web against a wall outside. I had never seen this before but now I know what kind of spider comes out of it.

These tiger spiders look dangerous but fortunately their bite is harmless for humans.