News of the world

This blog is in the first case meant for myself so I don't forget interesting stuff. So you will find lots of useless topics, but there will certainly be also readings that might interest you. Lots of the items will go about my family, things we do or don't do but also about software, cars, gadgets, music, etc ... .

28 okt 2005

Will AJAX Kill Microsoft Office?

Will AJAX Kill Microsoft Office?

Again a Web 2.0 related article, do they really think that AJAX is the solution for everything? Thinking that AJAX will kill MS Office is really a big laugh. AJAX is never going to replace MS Office, why should I be online to write a stupid WORD document, I want to do that in a quiet place where I don't get distracted by all those flashy web things, I just want to write documents or whatever.

And although Google Maps and GMail look nice but face it these are just small applications they are nothing compared to MS Office. Keep in mind I also like AJAX because it makes me believe I am using just a regular application, but it will never replace real desktop applications, I really don't believe this will happen.

Please don't think about Web 2.0 as AJAX, Web 2.0 is about people and how they want to retrieve the data they need, about how they are looking for means to handle their pictures, blogs, podcasts etc. It's about people communicating, socializing, creating and consuming content and not just about some 10 year old technology.

To all the geeks out there, come up with interesting applications where people can easily find each other, or find things they are looking for. And they shouldn't use Google search for this, the information should knock on their doors saying, hey I noticed you were looking for me so now here I am! That's what Web 2.0 should be about.